01 December 2012

From where did the name "Yvonne Santos" come?

This is a very short post.... Enjoy that, because it doesn't happen often. Haha!

So, I was recently asked why my nom de plume was Yvonne Santos. For those that know me, it's very easy to guess where the first part of this name hails (since it's my actual middle name). The last bit might be slightly confusing. My great-grandmother, Nina Santos, was Portuguese and immigrated from Cabo Verde to The Gambia, where she met my English great-grandfather. She kept her last name, but passed his on to all of her children. I thought that rocked. What woman at the turn of the century would forgo taking their husband's last name? I'll tell you who. Awesome women! And my gran was one of them. I just combined my middle name and my gran's last name to create my second name. Simple. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment